Thread: Ringer question
View Single Post
Old
11-24-2011, 01:19 PM
frito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
Due to a shortage of goalies, I'm playing goalie in a women's beginner league. Last year the league was almost ruined by too many higher level players being idiots. Luckily this year we've mostly either gotten rid of them, or taught the couple left how to not be twits.

Here's what I see:

Good players who are fun:
* They go with the intention to help everyone else.
* Sit back and quarterback
* If they shoot, it's a wrist shot to generate rebounds instead of charging the net and blasting.
* Play mentor and teach their team a thing or two on the bench, if it seems welcome.
* Cheer the beginner making a decent play.
* Score if the puck happens to go in.

Good players who wreck the game for everyone:
*See the ice time as a chance for them to dominate
*Swoop all over the ice and grab every loose puck they can, including pucks that two newbies are battling over
*Carry the puck end to end constantly and only then let their teammates have the puck.
*On the bench they say stuff like "This is fun! I've never
got to have the puck so much!" and brag about their sweet moves.
*They score at will on the beginner goalies who can hardly move.

*And my personal favourite (being a goalie) - once they've treated everyone else on the ice like practice pylons and beat the non-existent defence and had 10 minutes to deke around me, they celebrate a goal like they just won game 7.
This is a great summary. I play in a D5 league (our divisions go from D2 down to lower D5). Every team has a ringer or two. One particular D5 team has a guy who could play D2 and he is great to play against. He tries to set up his teammates but will score to keep the game close. This particular team is very weak to the extent I told him to tell his teammates to attack - that I would give them a lane. He appreciated that. He will step it up a bit against our more skilled guys and back off against our lesser skilled guys. He is always smiling even if his team isn't winning.

On the other hand there is a team of pukes in our league. This team had probably 1/2 dozen early 20 year old guys who could play D3 or D2. They completely ran up the score against us, hooting and hollering after each goal even when it got to 9-2. I was on D when they scored their 9th goal with said puke doing yet another fly by against us. I, immaturely I admit, went to the bench and said "I don't care about the puck anymore". Next shift out said puke was doing another fly by and I determined he wasn't going to get to my goalie. Well, we met head on at full speed in front of the net and I ended up with whiplash and an elbow or something to my throat. That was October and I haven't played since. To top it off, they got a power play a couple minutes later and went to far as to pull their goalie. Needless to say, a fight almost broke out after the game.

So, there is nothing wrong with ringers depending on how they are used. If a ringer plays like the first example all is good and everybody has a great time. If they play like the second example all they are proving is that they are cowards who are too afraid to play at the proper skill level.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote