View Single Post
Old
11-25-2011, 08:24 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I wonder if Deveaux used the Lucic defense. "I didn't see him till the last minute and it was too late to stop." I mean Shanahan was stupid enough to fall for it once right?

As far as the "old time hockey" some here are advocating, the biggest thing you are forgetting is that those elbows were thrown using leather pads. Ever picked up an elbow or shoulder pad these days? Rock solid hard plastic. That has made a huge difference in the severity of the hits. Even "old time hockey" players have said the same thing.
I am a fan of oldtime hockey, I readily admit
But the laws of physics have taken a bit of the physical possibilities out of the game.
Impact = Speed x weight
Players are much bigger & faster today hence bigger consequences of impact. Especially on the head.
Although players wear helmuts - the effect on the head is undisputeably more severe than before. Basic science.
Maybe invent & impose rules on having slower skates ??? Kidding - but if the trend continues and players are even faster, bigger and stronger in the future - things will get even more extreme here. Does anyone want this?