View Single Post
Old
11-25-2011, 06:40 PM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
It's not a rush to move Downie imo, he's had one bad year and this one is looking that it'll be worse than last year. A change of scenery might serve him well, and a move for Chris Stewart isn't one that compromises our future; he's the same age as Downie but a much better player. I'd rank him around 8-10 in power forwards in the league and he also brings grit. The difference between him and Downie is that he can play a top 6 role and not look out of place with Marty and Stammer. That added size, scoring and grit to our top 6 is more valuable than what Downie currently provides on the 3rd line (limited ice time).

Purcell seems to be everybody's (and Boucher's) punching bag and could also benefit from a change of scenery, while Clark is simply a throw in. Jackman would be assessed similar to Brewer and if he can learn the system, could be re-signed past this season.
I am a huge fan of Chris Stewart, but I don't agree with Downie needing a change of scenery. We've seen what he can do at this level, he's just gotten off to a slow start. I also don't think he deserves to be on the 3rd and 4th lines all the time, especially now that we're struggling big time. I think everyone can agree that our best line, when it was together, was St. Louis-Stamkos-Downie last year. I'd like to see Boucher go back to that at least temporarily to try and spark Downie's offensive game.

I agree that Chris Stewart is a very good power forward, but if we dealt for him I wouldn't want to lose Steve Downie in the process. I'd actually be more inclined to deal Malone++ for him if the Blues would take the salary (hypothetically speaking of course, I doubt Malone wants to go anywhere).

Last edited by I Am Beat You: 11-26-2011 at 05:10 PM.