View Single Post
Old
11-25-2011, 11:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I have an idea. rather than put poile against himself here, let's play a game. David Poile vs. the NHL. We need a agreement on what Poile's 5? best and worst moves over the last 5 years and compare it to other GMs around the league and their best and worst over the past 5 years.

I would argue that Poile's best moves (and goes back to the 2007 draft) in no order..

trading for sk for so little
not trading blum or wilson for kessel.
trading arnott for hellberg and halischuk
keeping trotz
the vokoun deal netting wilson and spaling

5 worst, and hindsight is 20/20
drafting pickard (we traded picks with ottawa and that is where they got karlsson)
Dumont's extension
Lombardi's contract
not getting anything for peverly
giving a pick for grebeshkov

I figure I would let Poile gain some wins and momentum by putting him up against the bottom feeders first. So first up, David Poile vs Calgary GM-Jay Feaster/Darryl Sutter.

so we need the 5 best Calgary moves and Worst. I will submit keeping sutter on the worst list and getting J-Bo when he was a FA to be.
I disagree that the Kessel deal is on the best moves list. There's not a sensible person on this board that wouldn't trade Blum or Wilson for a kid who is not much older than either and is far out in front in the league's scoring race. I'd put down falling 750k short of Kessel's asking price a major failure, actually.

I also don't consider trading for Grebs a bad move. When healthy, he looked incredible and actually made our PP look dangerous for the first time since Zidlicky left. It's not Poile's fault he got a nut exploded.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote