Old
11-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post

Let's say the worst case scenario happens and players like the Sedins, Zetterberg and Franzén decline and none of the young forwards develop into a true top player in time for the 2014 Olympics. Then we would have Bäckström and Eriksson as the only real stars to carry the team up front. This is a worst case scenario which I don't expect will happen, but at the same time it isn't all that unlikely either in my opinion. The 2014 forwards might be the worst crop we've brought to an Olympic tournament in a long time.
I think that's because our forward crop we've sent in recent Olympics have been fantastic. We don't have a Sundin anymore, but can we really expect to have one every time? I do agree though that we will appear a bit more pale, we don't quite have the same spice, still, I don't see either of those players declining too much, not even Zetterberg who has had a horrdendous start to this season.

And on the plus side, we'll come to the 2014 olympics with probably the best set of goalies we've seen in a long while, gone are the days where Salo was pretty much our only choice. The defense looks fantastic as well, I look at some of the suggested D-pairings and we still have some really talented guys outside of the squads. Take a guy like Calle Gunnarsson for example who is getting praised in Toronto, and I really liked what I saw from him last WC too - he doesn't even make a lot of peoples squads here, and take into account that Lidström will have retired by then, that says quite a lot about our depth defensively.

We'll see how guys like Pääjärvi works out, some people are saying bust, but maybe all it takes is that he gets paired with RNH a couple of games to get him going, confidence means everything in a young player's career. I'm happy to see that OEL seems to be evolving in the right direction, he's very young but he's already looking like he'll have a bright future after some early problems with getting scratched and so on.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote