View Single Post
Old
11-26-2011, 09:49 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What, like a defenseman who isn't near the top of the league in giveaways, is reliable defensively, and can actually get a real shot on net from the blue line?
I agree that Carle has no shot from the point to speak of, but I think he gets an unfair rap on other counts, especially the turnovers. Yeah, he commits his share. But check out some of the d-men who gave the puck away more than Carle last year:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Luke Schenn, Duncan Keith, Brent Burns, John Carlson, Brent Seabrook, Zdeno Chara, Victor Hedmen... some names on there that I'm sure most Flyers fans would love to have on the team. The reality is, when you log big minutes and your role on the team calls for you to handle the puck a lot, you are probably going to commit your fair share of turnovers.

Defensively, I think Carle is reliable. Not great, but far from awful. His positioning could be better but at the same time his skating allows him to make some plays that say, Pronger, will never make. And he rarely gets beat one on one.

Is he a likely Norris candidate? No. But the other poster is right, be careful what you wish for. Carle does a good job of generating offense without being a defensive liability (Mike Green). It would not be easy to replace him.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote