View Single Post
Old
11-27-2011, 02:18 AM
MynameisKing

vCash: 500
This is what I see happening. In past years we had difficulty in scoring, but it didn't seem as bad and we were actually pretty successful overall team wise. We didn't have much top end talent so we went with the dump and chase and the cycling forever down low offense because we had no other choice. What that did was actually keep us in the O-zone more often then our D-zone so shots against was low and we didn't get forechecked as much as we are getting to this point.

This year we upgraded skill wise so naturally we would want to open it up a little bit, but unfortunately the Kings are caught in the middle. First thing, the roster does not fit the system. Our identity in past years was dump and chase and cycle down low and then get the puck to the point and blast it! There will always be someone's ass in the goalie's face. Pucks will be bouncing everywhere and there would be chaos. No tape to tape beauty cutesy plays. Dump it in get the puck and muck it in. With the upgrade with skill we lost the grit, the board play, the puck protection, and the greasiness. Is it a surprise we that we did a little bit better once murray went with Hunter-Kopi-Clifford line et al in the third. Kopi had little option but to create and everyone else just banged. No pass to be just picked off and rushed the other way.

So, what is the solution? Should we get rid of Murray? Lombardi? I suppose Murray is dispensable. I believe he was here to in grain a system of defense first to a fledgling hockey club. Defense wins hockey games. He has succeeded in that department. Now, the system that he has instilled is just a bare bones system. I think Lombardi has now made the first step in making that next move already and that was increasing our skill level. You can see there is a system-roster mismatch. Like I said, the Kings are caught in the middle. The next coach is going to run most likely a similar model, but with more of an offensive plan that fits the Kings current roster better, or that is the idea. That's just what I am seeing and predicting. I don't know if I'm right, though.