Thread: PGT: Refs 1 Pens 3 Habs 3
View Single Post
Old
11-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
No, because there's a difference between a team sneaking into a bottom playoff berth on the strength of a couple of key players, and a team solidifying a top playoff berth early and maintaining it to the end on the strength of basically the entire roster in the absence of key players. I'm sure you can guess which one is the Habs and which one is the Penguins.

But if you want an example of a top tier Habs roster, look at 2007-08, and the number of players that went on to fill important roles on their new teams (some continue to do so). That was a "top-tier" roster in the making that year, no doubt. Basically, imo "top-tier" is defined as much by the guys occupying the "bottom" 3 lines as those on the top one.
A few things.
First off, explain how we sneaked into the POs last season when we never were outside a PO position all year, and finished 6th. You can't actually, because we did not sneak into them. We held a PO position all season, and made them in a comfortable 6th place. Also, unlike the Pens, we struggled with injuries right from day 1, until game 82.

I won't spin around this for ages though, I credit their coaching a lot more than the players. They are very well coached, and I think they would definitely make the POs even without Crosby and Malkin. Top tier without them in the line up for a full season though? I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Sexy is in the eye of the beholder, I guess you could say. And it's obvious that many (if not most) people's eyes here have not beheld much that occurs outside the Bell Centre, so they don't recognize a really good roster unless there are names they're familiar with from Sportscentre clips.
I would hope you don't think I am one of those guys that limits himself to the Habs and Sportscenter.

I can recognize a good roster, and I actually said the Pens had one. I said they are over hyped, which doesn't mean I think they aren't good.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote