View Single Post
Old
11-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Or like most players in the NHL. This idea you have that this is unique to goalies is quite absurd.

I can think of very few players, if any, at any position, that play good to great hockey every night of an entire NHL season. It just doesn't happen. Last season Vanek was brutal many nights of the first half of the year and ended that half with 7 straight scoreless games He hwas awesome in the 2nd gahlf

The reality is every player in the NHL, regardless of postion, has bad games and even bad weeks or months. The difference with a goalie is there is no where to hide for him when its happening. When he messes up its in the net.

the best forwards and defensemen are the best year in and year out (for the most part). You can see it statistically looking at the top scorers, top defenders, etc.

Goalies, on the other hand, are fickle. The top performers change drastically each year.

A goalies performance is far far far more dependant on the team around him, then any other position player.

you can call it a pet theory... but it's a fact.

i dont care about discussing goalies on a game to game basis... someone asked me what i thought about Enroth on a game to game basis, and i obliged.

I'd like someone to explain how Ryan Miller is better then any of the following:
Luongo
Kipper
Thomas
Fleury
Price
Lehtonen
Niemi
Khabibulin
Rinne
Thomas
Bryzgalov
Vokoun
Quick
Lundqvist
Backstrom
Howard
Smith
Crawford
Theodore
Ward
...add Miller's name in there and you have 20+ starting goaltenders who are rather interchangeable. The better the team around them, generally... the better they will perform.

And that's not even considering numerous younger guys who are showing the ability to be starters in this league

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote