View Single Post
Old
11-28-2011, 03:02 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
A few things.
First off, explain how we sneaked into the POs last season when we never were outside a PO position all year, and finished 6th. You can't actually, because we did not sneak into them. We held a PO position all season, and made them in a comfortable 6th place. Also, unlike the Pens, we struggled with injuries right from day 1, until game 82.
Okay, last season was more of a limp. .500 hockey in March, and whatever you say about holding the position, Carolina was coming on hot and we still only finished 5 pts ahead of them in 9th. I wasn't speaking specifically about last year though, as Pittsburgh has had multiple instances of playing great hockey without Crosby, Malkin, or both. But if you want "sneak", I think 2009/10 definitely qualifies, don't you?

Quote:
I won't spin around this for ages though, I credit their coaching a lot more than the players. They are very well coached, and I think they would definitely make the POs even without Crosby and Malkin. Top tier without them in the line up for a full season though? I highly doubt it.
It's fine to have an opinion and doubts, but know that the evidence strongly contradicts yours. I mean, Fleury, Staal, and Letang are pretty good starting points for building an image of "top tier" even without the big 2.

Quote:
I would hope you don't think I am one of those guys that limits himself to the Habs and Sportscenter.

I can recognize a good roster, and I actually said the Pens had one. I said they are over hyped, which doesn't mean I think they aren't good.
Nope, you probably don't. Many that like to argue around here do though, I suspect. I suppose, though, that the real issue here is that you're willing to consider them a good team with a good roster, but refuse to believe your own eyes when you've supposedly been watching a lot of these games with Crosby and/or Malkin missing. Yes, they're well-coached, but hockey isn't just knowledge - it's mostly execution. My definition of a "top-tier" roster hinges on their execution, not their NHL2012 cumulative player rankings. Anyone is free to have a different definition with different criteria, and we'll continue to have discussion.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote