View Single Post
Old
11-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Okay, last season was more of a limp. .500 hockey in March, and whatever you say about holding the position, Carolina was coming on hot and we still only finished 5 pts ahead of them in 9th. I wasn't speaking specifically about last year though, as Pittsburgh has had multiple instances of playing great hockey without Crosby, Malkin, or both. But if you want "sneak", I think 2009/10 definitely qualifies, don't you?

It's fine to have an opinion and doubts, but know that the evidence strongly contradicts yours. I mean, Fleury, Staal, and Letang are pretty good starting points for building an image of "top tier" even without the big 2.

Nope, you probably don't. Many that like to argue around here do though, I suspect. I suppose, though, that the real issue here is that you're willing to consider them a good team with a good roster, but refuse to believe your own eyes when you've supposedly been watching a lot of these games with Crosby and/or Malkin missing. Yes, they're well-coached, but hockey isn't just knowledge - it's mostly execution. My definition of a "top-tier" roster hinges on their execution, not their NHL2012 cumulative player rankings. Anyone is free to have a different definition with different criteria, and we'll continue to have discussion.
Yes, we sneaked in two years ago. Considering the number of injuries mixed in with the fact half the team was new, with a new coach, I have issues with. Half our team constituted of AHL players at some point early in the year, this cannot possibly help a new team learn a new system and players find chemistry.

Sure, Staal, Letang and Fleury are great starting points. So is Pk, Price and Plekanec.
As I mentioned earlier, James Neal was a great add for them, they have good depth, but I would not go as far as to say they are a top tier team without Crosby/Malkin.

Just going to have to agree to disagree, you rank them higher than I do by a bit.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote