View Single Post
Old
11-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Hockeylover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan
I only read a couple of posts on this thread but here's my advise:

1) First off and most important, talk to your goalie. Communication is very important, often you might be screening him/her or you might not see someone going into the slot, your goalie has the best view of all the action around so sometimes he/she needs to tell you what's going on.

2) Try not to screen your goalie, always play the pass first. The one timer is deadly, if your gaolie doesn't need to focus on two men the chances of them making a save goes up exponentially.

3) Don't be afraid of getting down to block a shot. If you drop to your knees and lay your stick out in the passing lane you basically cut off all options that the forward has(atleast without making a great play).

4) Poke check. enuff said.

5) a long stick is great for poke checks and shots from point. the problem is they are heavier and it's harder to puck handle.

6) Communication, yes i said it again! Talk to your goalie and your defenseman. The best defense communicates well, tell eachother to pinch or to stay back. Communication is very VERY important.
Excellent points! Let me reply to some of them:

1) I screened my goalie once yesterday. The shot was coming. I just froze not knowing if I should stop it or let the goalie have it. When I decided to step sideways, the goalie just had the time to make the save. I did not help him on this one. Unless it is a weak shot, I will leave it to the goalie.

5) On my both teams, we hardly ever communicate. I'll convince the guys this Sunday we have to. For instance, on the draw deep in our territory, when I get the ball I avoid passing forward. I prefer to run to the back of the net. I will tell my teamates in advance that I am going to do that and pass to one of them on the other side of the net. Otherwise, I will have to clear by the board, and we'll get an icing. Unless... I have just had that thought... What if I keep going with it? If I am quick enough and if I have only their defender to beat, I will keep going. If I can just pass by him, I'll get a breakaway. Sounds easy, but... Well, you have to try things! In the worst scenario, if the defender gets the ball, I'll go back at him and fight for the ball.

Sunday I will fight like I've never done it before. We have to use roughness or we'll be the joke of that division again. I want the other teams to respect us even if we're gonna be the crappiest team. Of course, I'll do that without hurting anyone or getting penalities. You have to try your hardest every game or you may as well stay home.