View Single Post
Old
11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
People always say that, but to me, wings are a dime a dozen. It is the only thing that gives me pause with Yakupov.

If the difference is marginal, I'd take a stud defenseman or center over a wing. And for a team like Anaheim, who's weak at both of those cornerstone positions, it may make more sense to draft a guy like Murray.
Yes wings are a dime a dozen and impact the game the least out of anyone (Ovechkin and Iginla of the past aside, no winger can carry a team like an elite center/defenseman/goalie can). However, we can't afford to pass on someone who has the quality of Kane.

Would be nice to get the #1 overall in a year where the BPA is a center like Tavares, Stamkos, etc. and isn't Russian. This is how things go though. It would be egg on the franchise's face if they drafted an Erik Johnson or traded down to draft a Jay Bouwmeester while passing up an 80 point scorer. The lack of drafting defenseman (only 2 in the last 10 years) in the first round is catching up to us. Best case scenario? We get #1 overall and trade Prospal or Vermette or someone at the deadline for a #15 pick. Then we can get Yakupov + a defenseman at #15.

Besides we all might be blowing smoke anyways. He could pull a Couturier and lose the #1 overall spot to Grigorenko or someone else. Either that or Anaheim/Islanders out-fail us and we end up drafting #3 anyways.

Last edited by Crede777: 11-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.