View Single Post
Old
11-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
someone with his skillset ''should'' put up numbers if placed with top line players and given top line minutes, he hasn't really had that chance yet in Ottawa and playing him on the 4th line is quite redundant.

He's either a top 6 NHL player or a KHL player, I'm just surprised it took MacLean so long to figure that one out.
Filatov was in the top 6 to start the year and it quickly became obvious he wasn't one of our best options there. MacLean's no fool, few NHL coaches are that foolish...we aren't bending over backwards for this guy if he isn't earning it....even if it means disappointing the countless fans that decided this was going to be a steal before the season started.

MacLean hasn't had some sort of revelation realizing Filatov is a top 6 player whether it's in the NHL or elsewhere. Smith, Daug and Condra are all bottom 6 players no matter how you look at it....they played 16+ last night because they've earned all kinds of ice, they are still bottom 6 players.

Filatov playing less than 10 minutes a night had more to do with the fact that he wasn't contributing anything no matter where he was in the lineup. He wasn't worth putting on the kill, he wasn't creating offense...you want him to show glimpses in order to put him back in a skilled role but he didn't do it. He's getting a chance to do it...if he doesn't deliver he'll be back to Russia or Binghamton before he's in the bottom 6 for longer than the remainder of a game.

I'm not against Filatov, I want him to prove to be a top 6er...but top 6ers have to produce and create offensive opportunities. He was alright last night, but he'll have to settle in more to hold on.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote