View Single Post
Old
11-29-2011, 11:21 AM
StammerHed2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
What the defensemen need to work on, if they aren't already, is making those long passes up to the forwards, often through traffic. I'm not crazy about the whole cherry picking thing, but it will get the other team's forecheck all over the place. The response from them should be to fall back into the neutral zone and plug it up there, but that's why they need to practice making the long passes with lots of traffic, quickly, so they can't really get a chance to get setup in the NZ. The other option for them is to go the other way, and play very aggressively on the forecheck, which leads them to not be as able to cover the streaking forward(s).

Breaking out of the zone can be literally impossible to stop if one team has enough of a speed and structure advantage.

(I'd also take an offside over getting an icing call, should the pass fail to be received, and icing is not waived off)

Brewer might be the best passer on the team, but he gets it that way by slowing everything down and biding his time. He's taking the time to do it right, but he's got it, and now needs to speed that up.

Or, at the very least, start carrying it through the neutral zone himself.

Same thing with Ohlund when he returns.

Hedmans outlet passes were actually one of the things I was going to say were a positive last night. He really helped get them moving out of our zone and broke their forecheck.

BTW, can we give the captain a little bit of credit? IMO he's been the best player on the ice in the majority of our games this season. He makes a move and it actually looks like it might work......which is a major step forward from the past few years.