View Single Post
Old
11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Players like Franzen, Zetterberg and Eriksson wern't stars at 20/21. The Sedin's have only been top tier forwards for the past 4-5 years. Things change and development time lines can be erratic and random.

The only top Swedish forward currently who was a legit star from the get-go was Backstrom, who happened to be the best Forward prospect from Sweden in a decade.

You have a plethora of talented young Forwards under 22. Johansson, Landeskog, Ziba, Jarnkrok, J Larsson, Pajaarvi, Backlund, Berglund, Tedenby, Kruger, Josefsson, Nyqvist plus various other promising players. I'd be willing to bet that from this large pool
atleast 4-5 will emerge as important Forwards for their respective NHL teams offensively. If you combine that with the 2012 draft talents and established players like Backstrom, Eriksson, Sedin's etc then you'll be very competitive.

Obviously the olympics are very competitive and Sweden won't be the favourite, but a world class D unit with excellent goaltending and an array of talented Forwards mean Sweden on paper is a major player in Sochi.
It doesn't seem all that unfeasible that 4-5 guys of the players younger than 22 become NHL first liners, especially since as you say, a lot of players develop late and some later round draft pick could become a star in the long run. But I'm very much doubting that it will happen in time for the 2014 Olympics.. Here's hoping for the best though!

To me it seems like we'll be a team in transition in 2014. For all the talent on the blue line for instance, Sweden will be short on experience.. and the older generation will be on a downward slope. 2018 should be a fun competition from a Swedish viewpoint though.. as long as NHL players will still participate.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote