Thread: Rumor: Bobby Ryan Being Shopped
View Single Post
Old
11-29-2011, 11:30 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
How much better is Ryan than Richards? How much worse is Schenn+Carle than Schenn+Simmonds?
Some assumptions you need to understand before interpreting my response:

1. We didn't get excellent value for Richie. We got a prospect that in all likelihood will turn out to be less than Richie, a 3rd line energy guy w/ 2nd line upside (but much more likely to be a 3rd liner for his career), and a 2nd.

2. You forgot about the 2nd we received in the Richie deal.

3. Anaheim's beat writers have clearly stated this trade isn't about getting futures, it's about winning right now. Schenn is a rookie. I don't think he makes a gigantic contribution to a cup contending team. Rarely do rookies make a significant impact.

4. Matt Carle is a UFA in the offseason and Anaheim has zero money to re-sign him @ the price he will command. His value is pretty low for only 1 playoff run.

So what are we left with?

In terms of "future" value (ie. value in 2012-2013 and beyond):
Carle is worth nothing to Ducks (leaves as UFA, no compensation to Ducks)
Ryan >> Schenn. I love Schenn, think he's gonna be great for us... but to say any prospect (other than a Crosby, an Ovie, etc.) will be better than an established 24 y/o 30-30 player is ridiculous.

In terms of "current" value (value for 2011-2012 only):
Ryan >>> Schenn. Ryan is an established 30-30 guy, Schenn is a rookie. Let's be real here. It's a pretty significant downgrade @ the forward spot.
Carle > whoever he replaces. But Carle does not put a team over the top... especially when you're taking a massive hit in forward depth to get him. He isn't a #1D or a #2D or even a #3D. He's not the difference for Anaheim between a cup or no cup.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote