View Single Post
Old
11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dont think we have tried it at home. Again, as flat as he and the team looked, it was just an idea.

I can't fully wrap my brain around why we are so green dependent. Sure, he was a Norris candidate, a scoring machine, that chose to morph his game into a more sound defensive game. Yet, he was never in our shutdown pairing, oddly, if his defensive game was that good. He doesnt score hardly at all anymore, something he does when I think he is at his best. Add in that we have Gross err Wideman to help fill his shoes, who is no slouch. Carlson may be the one that is missing Green the most, but Bruce had been loading up his plate with top opposition in a shutdown role.

So it comes down to puck moving, right? How have Wides Carlson Alzner Hammer Sarge and the boys, managed to keep jobs, if they can't make a simple outlet pass? Fact is, they can and do. Do we need Green for his D? Most those guys all got to where they are by playing D.

Maybe there is some intangible.
RH, a lot of people dont get the mike green effect. they talk about him jumping into the play and so forth. jumping into the play is what the standard issue puck moving/offensive defenseman does. green creates the play. he ignites the play. he can be the entire play. he does things offensively that no other nhl defenseman is capable of doing.

somebody here recently was talking about how many pucks have been dumped into jeff schultz corner and how successful that has been. when mike green is out there, green is the target. that protects schultz.

green never gets credit for his main basic ability. he is about the fastest and most explosive from the first step defenseman in the league. he wins races to loose pucks that dont look like races but would be for carlson and wideman. that speed ripples right thru the play. he fills open ice that no other defenseman can fill he is to the caps what darrell green was to the redskins. its speed and the power that comes with speed. rh, you know how hard mike green hits.

this is all parts of the reason why i laugh when some talk about ditching him. be careful what you wish for.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote