View Single Post
Old
11-30-2011, 01:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Conveniently? ... You constantly talk of size and toughness. Goalies provide neither. Bottom pairing D-men and 4th liners provide marignal levels of both because they don't play enough or against the right match-ups to make enough of an impact.

Do you remember when Ottawa was getting pushed around a decade ago? ... The Senators has plenty of size and toughness on the 4th line and bottom pairing. They still got pushed around because if your size and toughness play on the 4th line and bottom pairing, you don't have any!

Daugavins and Condra are below everybody I listed on the depth chart... and they would still be giants on the Canucks.

Also, adding the defense corps just distances us further from those teams:

Kuba (6'4, 225) - Karlsson (6'0, 180)
Phillips (6'3, 221) - Gonchar (6'2, 212)

Dion Phaneuf
HT: 6-3 WT: 214
Jake Gardiner*
HT: 6-1 WT: 173
John-Michael Liles
HT: 5-10 WT: 185
Carl Gunnarsson
HT: 6-2 WT: 196

Dan Hamhuis
HT: 6-1 WT: 209
Alexander Edler
HT: 6-3 WT: 215
Kevin Bieksa
HT: 6-1 WT: 198
Sami Salo
HT: 6-3 WT: 212
Goalies don't provide size, what does that mean? They just showed a graphic a few games ago to show how big goalies have gotten over the last few yrs. Bottem level D-men provide little of size & toughness? Don't they provide most of it? Carkner, Komiserick & Steckle. While I agree they don't make much of an impact, but most enforcers are 4th line players & most bottom pairing D-men are big tough guys, aren't they?

Let me repeat since you have yet to answer it. There are approximately 169 players under 6' & over 600 players over 6' in the NHL. Obviously a good mix of all kinds of players make up a good team & every player is looked at on an individual basis but most teams have more players over 6'. My point is that because of that fact it's harder for smaller players to make it to the NHL, they have to stand out, that's all.

Your point that bigger players are in lesser roles that don't matter really depends on the team. Joe Thorton plays a meaningful role, as does Annahiem's 1st line & Ottawa's first line with Greening - Spezza - Michalek. There are many examples, Cowen is playing an important role in Ottawa as is Kuba & Phillips this yr. Are you just arguing that Vancouver & Toronto are not the biggest teams? I concede that but I also said has the least amount of players under 6', maybe you missed that. I think most teams provide a balance of some size & toughness with their skilled smaller players.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote