View Single Post
Old
11-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
McIlrath is far too overrated by you, but I'd agree with what you're saying. I'd deal McIlrath or Erixon in the right deal, and for a young stud in Ryan who will top out at over 90 points, the trigger should be pulled. This isn't overreacting to a hot start, it represents a chance to get a player that we'll have for at least four years who provides more top talent that we're going to need to get over the hump.

Ryan is everything we want Kreider to become. Having said that, I don't think Dubinsky is in the team's future plans beyond this contract anyway, and likely he'll be gone before it's over. Again, this isn't an overreaction. Dubinsky is one of my favorite Rangers, but he's extremely inconsistent which is very frustrating. Thus, trading Dubinsky wouldn't bother me at all, especially if it brings back a guy like Ryan. Miller is going to be a younger, cheaper version of Dubinsky, possibly by next season.

I think with Ryan our lineup in a couple of years looks like this:

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Thomas-Stepan-Ryan
Callahan-Anisimov-Miller

That's a phenomenal top 9, and since Dubinsky likely would be gone by then, it may be best to simply deal him now. No problem trading Dubinsky, a first (preferably 2013) and a top defensive prospect for Ryan.

Prospects may not pan out. Bobby Ryan is a legitimate 30 goal scorer and he'd help put the Rangers near the top of the East. We may not contend this season with him, but we'd be a hell of a lot closer than we would if we had an inconsistent Dubinsky.
Perhaps I may over value McIlrath. However, there is no indication that he's struggling or even beginning to bust. In fact, there is only positive news being generated by him. He's only 20. He's not an offensive defenseman, so the hold up with him is becoming defensively better and filling out his frame. Most defensive defenders don't come up until age 23 or 24. Staal is a rarity because he was up at like age 19, and for the first few years, defensively, he was at times a liability.

I expect McIlrath to one day be on the opposite of Staal.