Thread: Injury Report: Matt Carkner
View Single Post
Old
12-01-2011, 12:57 AM
N Bahn Ahden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Glass was abusing the Sens defensemen all game long, and it even lead to a goal. Carkner certainly would have changed that with his presence alone. Not to mention a repeat of the following:

How you could say he wouldn't have changed anything is beyond me, you can't really dislike the guy enough to be afraid to admit he has a use? Because it was clear as day last night.
Obviously he brings an element that nobody else currently does. But that doesn't mean overall he's among the six best D we have on the healthy roster (I'm not going to bother arguing that he isn't, just that being different doesn't necessarily imply that he's better).

Carkner may not get beat on that Glass play (although that came off Cowen, who is just as solid, but anyway), but he's going to get beat on other plays. Speed specifically.

I have nothing against Carkner. In fact I like him a lot, and admire the work he put in to get where he has. But at a certain point this team is going to have to shed some players when they get passed over by better ones. There are two ways to get better from a player personnel stand point (ignoring coaching, etc). Either your current players get better, or you bring in guys that replace them. I fear for Carkner that he's a guy that will be replaced as this team progresses. Fortunately, he has value as an end of the roster, 7th D type.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote