View Single Post
Old
11-02-2003, 08:57 AM
NewGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian

One question I put out to all of you guys, what is up with the Habs it seems we either win the real close games. Three shutouts for Theo so far is a big time plus, but when we lose it's been by 3 or 4 goals on multiple occasions, how does this change??
I think the reason for this is that as soon as the Habs get down by a goal their defensive system completely breaks down. The forwards get caught deep in the offensive zone and cannot get back in time to backcheck. The defensemen start running around everywhere and not suprisingly the score gets out of hand very quickly.

Also as soon as they get down by more than one goal a lot of players either quit trying ( Audette, Perrault ) or start to try and do everything themselves ( Ryder, Ribiero, Zednik ).

Quote:

Mike RIbiero has proven that he is not a number 1 center in the NHL. He may be a good number 2 center on a team that has some size down the middle but with the Habs I am a little unsure. He does have a killer set of hands though, something that no one can take away from him.
The problem with Mike Ribiero and this team is that he and Perrault both disappear when the games get physical and tight-checking (Actually that can pretty much be said for the whole team). It is impossible to expect to generate any offence when your #1 and #2 centers disappear in close tight-checking games. This is a huge problem considering that games like that increase in frequency as the season wears on.

Bottom-line either Perrault or Ribiero need to be gone and I don't really care which one. Although Perrault makes more sense since he is a UFA at the end of the season.

Quote:

I like Hossa so far, he seems to be working a little harder lately and learning to use his size to his advantage.

Ron Hainsey has played well and deserves to be in the lineup but I would really like to see Komisarek up to the big team some how, not to sure who he would replace.
Hossa has impressed me much more this year than he did last year. He seems to be playing with more intensity although there is still room for improvement. One complaint I have about his game is that he doesn't want the puck. He rarely carries the puck and although he will fight for it along the boards. When he does get it he will try to make a low percentage pass that often misses its intended recipient.

Hainsey has been inconsistent this season. He looks really good sometimes and other times he is constantly out of position in his own end. However I think that the team is doing a tremendous disservice to their lame powerplay by leaving him on the bench instead of having him play the point on the second unit. Offensive play is one of his strengths and he should be put in a position where he can use it successfully.

Quote:

And lastly, I would give Balej a couple of games up on the top 2 lines as soon as Audette get's injured which he probably will. I would prefer traded but injured would do just fine.
I would love to see a few of the young guys called up ( Plekanec, Komisarek ) and maybe one of the older guys sent down ( Audette, he's finished as an effective NHLer and has been for a while ). Then it would be nice if a few of the vets ( Perrault, Rivet ) got to watch a game from the press box while the young guys took their place. This would not be a permanent solution ( except for Audette ) but hopefully would show the vets that if your play and intensity are not where they should be then your position on the team is not guaranteed.