View Single Post
Old
12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Rafalski, @ 5'10 200pds as a full grown adult, was more than strong enough to be an excellent top-pairing dman...

weber is 5'11, 193pds @ 23, by the time he's 28-29, and has had another 6-7 summers to add weight/strength, he will be more than strong enough to play the same way he did in juniors at the NHL level.

I do agree that it's not an ideal situation to have 3 inexperienced dmen "learning" the NHL game in the lineup at the same time, though with Spacek, Campoli, Gill also in the bottom-4 mix, I think we're fine for this year.

moving forward, if the team does want to move one of them, to me, it's a no-brainer to look to move Diaz and keep Weber (only assuming they decide they have to move 1 of them, which isn't a given).

With our upcoming offseason contract situation, I wouldn't be surprised if we see all 3 back next year.

Markov
Subban
Gorges (HOPEFULLY)
Emelin
Weber
Diaz

having those 6 dmen and then adding either a bottom-pairing vet on a cheap UFA contract, or even a solid top-4 UFA dman on a bigger contract (assuming we can clear up cap space by dealing with Gomez), would not be a bad situation for the team next year... especially cap-wise. Emelin/Weber/Diaz are pretty solid value/caphit players and will only be better next year.

Emelin/Weber/Diaz will all be 1 year and 1 summer of training further along in their development, and it's not like we really have any NHL-ready dmen in Hamilton knocking at the door needing to get in (unless Nash returns from injury this year and progresses quite a bit).
Rafalski was 185 maybe 190 with all his equipment on at 5'8" or 5'9".