View Single Post
Old
12-02-2011, 04:25 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Playoffs work perfectly fine with 4 divisions. The thing people keep getting caught up on with 4 divisions is this thought that there's still conferences. There's not. Divisions exist for scheduling purposes. In a 4 division setup, you basically have home and home with all non-division teams and 6 games against each division team (exception being the two 7 team divisions needing an additional home and home interdivision matchup).

Playoffs can either be top team in each division + next best 12, top 2 teams each + 8, top 3 teams each + 4, or simply top 4 teams in each. Personally, I'd say the top 3 + next best 4 would be the best option. Guarantees an intradivision playoff series, but matchups won't be repeated too many seasons in a row. "Next best 4" almost guarantees no teams get in with inferior records (though it's still possible). I would argue playoffs work far better in a 4 division setup.

As mentioned, you don't need half the East to agree. If you can get the whole west to agree (which is feasible) you just need 4 votes out of the East, and the Southeast is willing to see changes.
Playoffs which work off 4 uneven divisions are fundamental unfair. Uneven divisions are easily one of the stupidest things about the baseball playoffs.

I believe the playoff scenario discussed with the 4-division format is the top-4 teams from each division making the playoffs, with each division having a mini 2-round tournament, which turns into a semi-finals round with the 4 division winners.

This is below stupid. It would be significantly easier to get into the playoffs in two of the divisions (the ones with only 7 teams).

That alone would means that the 16 teams in the two 8-team divisions would vote against the proposition.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote