View Single Post
Old
12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Christensen's value is larger with the team, then without imo.

I think a lot of fans fail to realize that depth is more important then trading a player away. For what? What are you going to get for him? If its a perfect package deal to get someone who can legitimately upgrade the team, then fine (but you're probably including a top prospect in there as well and Christ is just filler).

Injuries happen, slumps happen. Christensen has value on this team even though some fans refuse to admit it. He's got skil land while hes not on the playing roster right now, if one or two centers go down, you better expect him to be in the lineup...

So you would rather bring up someone from Hartford? And then what, theyll sit the entire time too and kill their development? Christensen provides PERFECT depth. PERFECT. He's a vet whos skilled, he can win a game for you in the shootout, he can play on every line, can score, can pass, can play the PP...

What more do you want? The reason he isnt playing is because he is the perfect depth forward. Thats the whole point!!!
Although I do concur with some of your points - especially cap space wise - but I feel that the better player should always be on the squad if manageable capwise. Mitchell (and Hagelin) have both shown considerably more than Christensen has.
I presume Hagelin will be fighting with Wolski/MZA/Avery over 2 future top 9 spots come March (consider AA, Stepan, Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Cally as the 7 sure shots) but that Christensen is then fighting with Mitchell over the 13th(14th?) spot on the team then.
So far he (Mitchell) has shown much more value to the team imo. But in this crazy world (remember keeping White on the roster last year - costing us $527k this year in cap space?) - who really knows? I do agree that if we get nothing in return - then a trade/waiverflier is totally meaningless. He does have some value to the team but as of now Mitchell has kind of surpassed his value imo... Maybe need some more time before this is totally clear tho