View Single Post
Old
12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Wisp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
I think this is pretty unfair to Edler and Rome who are both smart hockey players (Maybe slightly below Hamhuis/Salo, but certainly not by much). Edler still makes some poor reads at times but no more so than your average top four D-man in this league. And Rome may not have any offensive IQ but he reads the play defensively extremely well. Definitely has hockey smarts, just lacks any talent.

Bieksa is hard to get a read on. I mean from December of last year until Hamuis got hurt in the finals he was arguably the team's most reliable D-man besides Hamhuis. So is it hockey smarts Bieksa lacks, or just motivation? Ballard I sadly have to agree on, amazing how poor he reads the ice both with and without the puck. Alberts is also not very smart on the ice.
Using advanced statistics to get a read, Bieksa has been the same reliable player all season, but has suffered some pretty terrible luck early on.

What's happening now is things are evening out. The numbers balance themselves over 82 games and the end result is now more reflective of his actual play.

I love reading about advanced stats, sheds so much light on why the Canucks make certain decisions. It's good the coaching staff understands this stuff and is willing to be patient.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote