Thread: Is it to late?
View Single Post
11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to technophile
Originally Posted by Drop The Gloves
I looked into skating lessons and found that they were around $90. I don't think my family can really afford it. I can't ask for skating lessons for Christmas because my family and I are already going to VA.

I think I might have to wait till I'm older and have a job to play. If I can't afford lessons I can't see how I could expect my parents to pay for equipment.

I told my brother about how I plan on playing when I'm older. Hes not really supportive, lol. Hes like "What are you going to do? Try learn when you're 20??!! Ha! When will you do this hobby of yours, at night? hahaha"
Ignore him. I started ice skating/playing ice hockey in May (I just turned 28 two weeks ago) and I'm fine. I'll never play in the NHL, but I'm more than good enough for the local C-level rec leagues and to have a heck of a lot of fun (which is the real point).

One thing you can do is learn to roller blade (and/or ease yourself into street hockey), which will help you transition to ice skating more quickly once you have the money.

As for the "playing at night" comment, um, yes. What's wrong with that? Adults stay up later than (non-college) kids anyway, so playing at 8 or 9 or 11 pm is no big deal. Then there's the weekends, and actually the local rinks here have a weekly stick and puck session at lunchtime, so if you can take a long lunch you can do that as well.

Starting and playing as an adult (even with a full-time job) is perfectly possible.

Oh, also, about affording it, you might be able to work things out if you try. For instance (if you don't have one), get a job -- even a job at the rink, if you can. You should be able to find a job that will pay enough for $15/week hockey lessons, or save up for a $90 lump sum, and still have some left over for saving up for gear (check for used gear being sold on bulletin boards at the rinks) as well. Even if you can't drive or get a ride, it's usually possible to find work within walking distance -- yard work for neighbors, or whatever.

technophile is offline   Reply With Quote