View Single Post
Old
11-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Dizzy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Shouldn't come as any surprise as to how well Steve is doing. That Windsor environment is just a festering cesspool. No direction, no leadership, no clue on how to do things. The kids were left to run the asylum and that's why Downie was so out of control. In Peterborough, there's at least a real coach there who knows how to get maximum potential out of players and is also known to turn around "head cases" per se. I don't ever think Downie was a head case, but it was clear he was in need of some much needed direction and guidance. And I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, his physical play has been great and the cheap shots are pretty much non-existent. He's gonna be a big part of the Flyers for years to come.
I'm starting to think Downie really knew what he was doing when he refused to return to Windsor after his suspension was finished. I didn't understand when he said he hadn't been treated well by the organization prior to the incident, but now things are becoming a lot clearer. Things in Windsor just keep getting worse everyday, I dread looking at the sports section in the morning.

Good to hear that Downie's game is progressing well with proper coaching. His coaches in 2+ seasons in Windsor were the team GM who didn't want to coach and hadn't coached in over a decade, the assistant coach who repeatedly stated he didn't want to be head coach and pretty much told the media he had no idea how to get through to the team, and Mantha, who took less than a month to show he had no control over his players either.