View Single Post
Old
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
I said this past summer that the Ducks were in huge trouble. But I was told that Fowler was going to build on his rookie success, that Perry was going to continue his MVP form, that Ryan would take the next step, that Koivu would keep up his stellar two way play, that Selanne will keep his motor running. The last one is the only thing that the Ducks apologists were right about.

I remember having a discussion with my friend (who also posts here) about this. He said moreorless what those defending the Ducks said. I said that while their top line is impressive, they have an old 2nd line and barely any bottom 6 depth, and at the time, I think they only had 10 NHL forwards under contract. I believe this was before they swung a deal for Cogliano. My solution for them was to trade either Ryan or Perry for a top 6 forward in their 20's and a bluechip offensive prospect that could step in as soon as this season. I got shot down by my friend back then, and flash forward to present day, the team is a mess, just as I thought it would be.

Boudreau isn't going to fix anything overnight there. Anaheim doesn't have anything near the depth that Washington had when he took charge there. As much as I dislike the guy, he's a good coach, but it's going to take a while for him to get results. The Ducks need depth, and fast, if they want to salvage this season.