View Single Post
Old
12-05-2011, 09:11 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Interesting thoughts via Bob McKenzie

Quote:
Anyone who remembers the NHL with divisional playoffs knows the pros and cons of this new/old format.

Pros: Intense playoff rivalries that happen year after year with great regularity. Think NYR-NYI, NYR-NJD, NYI-WSH or CGY-EDM, BOS-MTL etc.

Cons: 5th place team in a "stronger" conference misses playoffs and 4th place team in a "weaker" conference makes it.

Cons: Two of the NHL's elite teams, maybe the top two overall, could conceivably meet in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

My own view: New 4 conference format GREAT for regular season play. I am not big fan of it, though, because of new (old) playoff format.
And Philadelphia/Washington/etc conference is pretty tough. Didn't even notice how massive that conference is. But I think they are not too far off from ours when you consider only 2 teams from their conference is a non-playoff team, when ours is like 3? Edmonton in a year or 2 is going to be incredible.

I do like the idea of upping the odds for more geographically close playoffs. Definitely makes it pretty exciting. Alwyas wnated a Kings/Ducks playoff series. Could do wonders for Socal Hockey

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote