View Single Post
Old
12-06-2011, 03:27 PM
MarkMM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I fully expect that the Preds will offer him more than he can reasonably bank on making as a UFA. They did with Rinne. Hamhuis still would be here if they had done that with him. In fact, I don't know of a player that wanted to leave here and was willing to risk earning less to do it. I think it's a fine argument.
Hard to say. Suter and Weber are very, very special players, and if they hit the open market, they could just about set their own price, they wouldn't need to take less money in order to sign elsewhere.

As for Rinne, I like pretty much everyone in the world had to pick up my jaw when I saw what he got, and yes, I do question whether he would have gotten that on the open market. But at the same time, goalies face a weaker market as there's a glut of No.1 goalies. Even though Rinne's level is rare, teams consistently show they're willing to go with less elite goaltending and save the dough for skaters. Not so with big, two-way, reliable, skilled defensemen, who will always get premium dollars.

Hamhuis, yes, seems like he would have stayed if he got a solid offer with a bit of a hometown discount, but he's not on the same level as Weber or Suter, and he in the end also ended up taking less money to play closer to his family in BC.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote