View Single Post
Old
12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
He was at #4 for me before the season started, and that's where I still have him.

What part of his game specifically are you questioning translating to the pros? Personally, I don't see him as having the potential of a true top line guy unless his skating hits an unexpected development bump (it seems about average right now, from what I've seen), but everything else about his skill-set and abilities fairly screams offense production at the NHL level to me.

The physical development will come in time, and be the true limiting factor for how long it takes for him to make the show. I think the skating development will define his upside, and his positional/defensive play development will round out his usefulness/overall value to the team. I don't see any glaring physical or skill weaknesses that make me worry he might bust.
He just doesn't seem like he's got that one or two special elements to his game that will allow him to seperate himself and become more than 'just a guy'. He's got offense... but hundreds of junior kids have had that before and couldn't become NHL'ers...is his skillset so outstanding that it will make up for weaknesses in other areas? The coaching staff obviously thought highly of his offense during training camp...but he's not going to make it as a one-trick pony...unless that one trick is Brett Hull-like.

I just dont get excited about junior hockey stats because I've seen enough kids fail to develop the rest of their game and instead hang their hopes of stardom on scoring...and when they bring their game up a notch against full-grown men who can actually skate backwards and play defense or try to score against a goalie who actually knows what he's doing, more often than not it's not as easy as it was in junior hockey.

It's not that I want Rattie to fail...it's just that I don't see the all-world hands of a Perron...or combination of tenacity and two-way skill like an Oshie or Backes. Both of those guys had NHLer written on them in college, because even if their offense didnt translate to the bigs, other elements of their game would allow them to be successful. If Rattie can beat up on AHL defenses, then I'll move him up in my rankings...but until then he's behind Schwartz, Tarasenko, Cole, Allen, McRae, Lehtera, Jaskin (who resembles a raw Backes to me...according to the scouting reports) and maybe Fairchild/Cundari (who are having success in the pros). Give him time, he may be worthy of a top-5 ranking at some point...but I think it's a little premature at this point to vault him into the upper echelon of prospects based on his play against guys whom 90% of have no future in the sport.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote