View Single Post
Old
12-07-2011, 12:46 AM
hyster110

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Look behind? I'd make sure nobody was behind me, but I'd be looking in front of me.

OP, as another poster said, I'd become proficient skating forwards, pivoting and stopping before I focus on skating backwards. But if you insist, my advice would be to think low and wide. Don't lean back, get low and stick your butt back, keep your feet wide and use your edges just like you would if skating forward, i.e, deep, wide C-cuts, pushing out to the side and pumping your arms out in front of you. If you don't know what a C cut is, I would reiterate that you should work on forward skating first.
without becoming proficient or even great at forwards skating your going to set yourself up to fail for backwards skating.

it took me close to 3 years of forward skating to even started trying to do backwards and even then it was gliding for alot of the time. learning the movements going forwards, especially crossovers will only be beneficial in the future and make learning to skate backwards less of a challenging task

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote