View Single Post
Old
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
To some of us, making moves aren't panic moves but common sense. Something isn't working with this team fix it. Almost 30 games have been played already. Isn't time to admit that the make up of this team just isn't working and need to be altered? How is that panic?
Joe, you're usually one of the first to declare the team is "terrible" and go on a rant. It's rarely anything rational from you ... from your rants to your never followed through on threats to just leave and never come back ... it's always a knee jerk reaction. This team is on a rough slide and still just five points out of 4th place. Most of the things that need fixing are internal issues that don't require drastic moves.

Two goals or less in seven of the last eight games dropped our average scoring to last season's level. Unfortunately, this team which prides itself on defense, goal tending, and keeping other teams from scoring is allowing .38 more goals per game this season than last. Allowing four or more goals in eight games so far is failing to live up to that reputation.

Right now the Fisher line is actually generating chances at even strength. I'm just not sure if we should run with Erat/Fisher/Smith or put Hornqvist or Tootoo there and line Smith up with Legwand and Wilson as was done at the beginning of the season. With the current drought Hornqvist is experiencing it might be worth putting Tootoo up on the top lines consistently when he gets back on Saturday. A top 15 scorer (35+g) would be a wonderful addition, but, we've got plenty of guys capable of putting the puck in the net who we simply need to get going ... especially at even strength.

The second pairing needs solidifying. If we bring in anybody right now, that's the biggest hole to fill. OK ... the goal on them last night had a few fluky characteristics, but, it set the tone for the game. Hillen/Klein has, for the most part, been a decent pairing but we need better than decent right now. We need solid night in, night out and able to not only keep the other team off the board but get our rush going which isn't Klein's strength. The second period at Vancouver is about the only time they've had real issues of late ... along with the puck off the ref where Hillen couldn't find/get to it last night.

Keep Josi and Blum as a 3rd pair and let Blum regain his groove of last season. Blum has shown that he's capable at this level but we're seeing the all too familiar sophomore slump with him. Josi has looked pretty good and is demonstrating good skills with the puck.

For the coaching staff, Lambert remains the big question for me. He's the guy handling our defensive pairings and this year the defense is off. I'm not sure if it's him ... of Klein needing a partner and Blum taking a step back ... or a combination of it all. Giving up 3+ goals in seven of the last nine games isn't what this team needs.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote