View Single Post
Old
12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Probably, because on paper, this team should be a heck of lot better than 25th in goals scored year in and year out. The offense is putrid again. The 5 on 5 is slowly working it's way back to garbage, if the PP doesn't get going soon, it's going to be a quick sink to the bottom.

Enough with the excuses already, this team should be better than that. JM is part of the reason the offense is completely inept, that and the roster isn't exactly stellar, but no doubt they should be scoring more goals.

Even the underlying metrics are starting to sway against the habs. They were playing good, now they're slowly falling apart. The team has had so many lifeless games recently, somethings gotta give. I'm all for waiting it out until seasons end if it means getting the right tandem, but if they can go through the vetting process now, I'm all for it.
This is the issue right here. Somewhere in November Montreal went from a good team not getting the bounces and losing games they carried the play to a team that is just plain getting beat. How much this is injuries and injury-related fatigue is hard to say but it is clear that they need to turn things around to remain relevant. For sure the delay on Markov is hurting two critical areas, the power play and the 2nd defensive pairing which are key weaknesses. But they have the horses to be a good team.

I'm less sympathetic to the coaching argument because so many people espousing it are couching it in terms like "confidence" and "has lost the room" which in my opinion are just examples of magically thinking in action. Not that confidence and team spirit don't exist but no one outside of the situation has any real information on the matter and in the absence of real evidence makes them matter of purely subjective opinion, which I hold no stock in. And don't get me started on the self proclaimed "body-language" experts because that just makes me laugh. It should be noted how swapping in Kirk Muller doesn't seem to have done Carolina much good for example.

So I don't know if a management change is the answer. I am suspicious of anyone that has strong beliefs in either direction on the matter because I question whether they can really say they have enough information to make an informed opinion on the matter and I note that people calling for the management's head in Montreal have long disliked the current regime for ideological reasons I consider specious.

It is clear that they need to shift direction though because things aren't working right now. So a coaching/management change shouldn't be off the table but a knee-jerk decision is probably the worst thing they could do.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote