View Single Post
Old
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
I don't believe that MDZ has played poorly this year. I was impressed with his defensive play for the most part. I believe DZ needs to dial his offensive game back to zero (no freelancing, etc) and spend all his time playing a very conservative style. The risk taking needs to end until the Defensive core returns. As DZ is becoming more comfortable with his game the errors are beginning to build.
That's exactly what he's done. Very few stretch passes that ultimately lead to icings or interceptions, he hasn't been caught pinching at bad times. He's played very error free.

His breakout passes have been very very good. Top two-way defenseman should focus on defense and transition first and foremost, and pinch only at opportune times, which he has. However, he's been a bit lackluster on the PP, but that's for another discussion.

Guys like Nick Lidstrom (all you illiterate folk out there, no comparison is being made between them) focus on defense first and foremost, unless they're on the power play. A good breakout pass will do wonder at even strength in terms of offense. MDZ may not be the best skater, but his vision and skill allows for him to have a great transition game.