View Single Post
Old
12-07-2011, 11:46 PM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
That's exactly what he's done. Very few stretch passes that ultimately lead to icings or interceptions, he hasn't been caught pinching at bad times. He's played very error free.

His breakout passes have been very very good. Top two-way defenseman should focus on defense and transition first and foremost, and pinch only at opportune times, which he has. However, he's been a bit lackluster on the PP, but that's for another discussion.

Guys like Nick Lidstrom (all you illiterate folk out there, no comparison is being made between them) focus on defense first and foremost, unless they're on the power play. A good breakout pass will do wonder at even strength in terms of offense. MDZ may not be the best skater, but his vision and skill allows for him to have a great transition game.
I understand what you and Brooklyn Ranger are saying.

I believe that MDZ's defensive game is beginning to slip. I believe I am seeing the poor judgement, "risky passes", caught out of position, sometimes poor shot selection, etc beginning to creep into his game.
I wasn't seeing this the first 15 (?) games of the season. I believe MDZ's game started to slip as he started to become more aggressive with his offensive game.

I might be totally off base but my prediction is that we will see more negative results from DZ as the games move forward. The loss of Sauer (hopefully for a few games) might illuminate MDZ's defensive play. We can debate the issue but it's a pointless exercise. MDZ's play will dictate who was right.