View Single Post
Old
12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The big question is how many GMs want Stafford at $4M per for 3+ seasons?
I'm sure there are several GM's who'd like a 26 yr old winger with size coming off a season in which he scored 31 goals in 62 games. For all the people who (albeit correctly) harped on the unsustainability of his shooting% last season, the same people aren't cutting him a break for his 7.1% shooting% this season, which is well below his career 12.6% shooting%.

I'm fairly certain that GMs who look at those statistics would love to buy low on Drew--assuming his stock is low to Buffalo, which I doubt given Regier's patience. Also, like it or not, $4m is at or slightly below market now for 2nd line wingers, and as the cap rises and the UFA classes continue to stay watered down, that market may only increase.

Quote:
A bad contract is likely going to make Brassard unmovable off of the C'bus roster right now. How many GMs could live with Stafford's deal?
Brassard is a soft, one-dimensional (offense) center who may not even be a center in the long-term given how terribad he is at the dot and his lack of defensive ability. He's not even getting dressed on a bad team. That's extremely disconcerting.

Quote:
It appears that most teams are either at the cap or their internal payroll budget limit. That makes it tough to do a deal like moving Stafford right now.
Maybe, maybe not. They can move players in and out. I'm not arguing that it'd be a cinch to move Stafford today--even though I think there'd be plenty of suitors--but I don't think it'd be that difficult if they made him available. But I strongly dispute the notion that his value has plummeted in the eyes of all GMs because of a bad 12 games.

I'm all for moving Drew in a package to upgrade the club (Ryan or top-6 center, for example), but I think it's fairly silly to believe, as some have suggested, that he has limited or no value right now.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote