View Single Post
Old
12-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yes, I'm aware. And we do get the second round pick as well. It's not a maybe, it's a done deal.

I don't think Reyes gets you two elite prospects at the deadline. I think he gets you one elite prospect and one very good prospect. He would have been a rental.

Could we have received more value had we traded Reyes? Probably. Is it a "colossal" mistake? Not seeing it. I'm always critical of the Mets, but this isn't as bad as you're making it to be.
They got one elite prospect for Beltran. If they'd been smart and traded Reyes when he was really hot, they could have conceivably gotten two elite prospects for him. Look at what the Astros got for Hunter Pence. I'd wager the tradeoff in how much better Reyes is than Pence would've made up for the extra years on Pence's contract. And once again, by using the picks rather than acquiring prospects we're losing a few years of development time. That's not something to be scoffed at. Plus, prospects who've already spent time in the minors and done well are less of a crapshoot than draft picks.