View Single Post
Old
12-09-2011, 12:18 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
The Boyle, Hagelin, and Mitchell line had been one of the Ranger's best recently. While that has a lot to do with Hagelin, and Boyle has been mediocre at best this season, I would suggest that Boyle as the 4th line center is not the biggest problem this team could have. Like, say, 2 of our top 4 defensemen out.
While that may very well become an issue, to this point our defense has been great this season. We've been one of the best teams in the league without Staal, an All-Star shut down number 1 defenseman. Last night without him and Sauer we should've won a game 2-1.

Mitchell and Hagelin have been good. Not Boyle. He really deserves no credit for their play. And I love the guy but he's been terrible.

The problem to me, is pretty obvious. Torts' obsession with his top six and only ever wanting to play them unless this team gets a goal very early in the game from the bottom two lines or if we have a significant lead.

Anyone notice that when this team went on its most recent winning streak a key component of that was rolling four lines? Torts still hasn't figured out that you can't sit guys forever and then throw them out twice a period and expect them to be effective. He hasn't figured out that it benefits the whole team, including the top two lines, when you have that. He hasn't figured out that he has a roster where he can do that. He's not STILL coaching in Tampa right now where they only have Stamkos and Lecavalier and St. Louis and nothing else. He doens't have to do this but he continues to and it's not a coincidence in my opinion the results.

Our defense may very well come back to bite us. I cringe just thinking of Stralman being on the ice. Anyone see Connolly blow by him last night in the first period when he got that nice scoring chance? It was a two on two, Woywitka is right next to Stralman and obviously has the man with the puck who is right in front of him. Instead of taking Connolly, who is right in front of him, Stralman leans towards the puck carrier, allowing Connolly to blow by him when he receives a perfect pass. Stralman is garbage.

But we win that game last night if we get ONE more goal at any point. You get one more goal by having your entire forward group playing well and generating chances.

The power play results are also overstated IMO. I know they've been better as of late, but really it's just Stepan. Torts continues with the same personnel and this team still looks way out of tune with the extra man. That has to change.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote