Old
12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
See the red wings are in a success only mode. You have generational talent at the point in their careers where its win the Stanley cup for the season was a failure.

There may never be a time where the Red wings have the talent of a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and LIdstrom all on one team again. Potentially 2 HOF and the 2nd greatest Dman ever. I think now is the time to go for it and I cant think of a better player you can get for smith than Jagr. Jagr may even sign on for another year or two.

SMith on the other hand is an unknown. He is not a sure thing like a RNH or a dougie Hamilton. He is your top prospect but there are cerntainly better prospects in the NHL. Is it really that hard to part him for a chance to win a cup.

Smith is projected to be the team's future PP quarterback and top pairing defenseman. The Wings build around their defense, and in fact, the defense drives their scoring. Smith fits the system to a tee-- great skater (compared to Niedermayer), excellent skills, nose for the net, with some grit as well. This is the last guy the Wings would consider in a trade (except maybe as part of a package for a signed Weber).

I understand your reasoning, but Holland is loathe to trade any prospect who actually fits into his future plans. Smitty is going to be a Wing for a long time.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote