View Single Post
Old
12-11-2011, 03:05 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Sit him out one game even if he seems fine and tests are negative. What's the harm? Probably unnecessary but I'd rather be have him miss one game being overly cautious than 20 because he is really hurt. If this was a knee, shoulder, groin, whatever injury I'd be all for him playing, but with a head injury it seems like you just never know. Guys say they are fine and docs agree, then the next thing you know they are out a month.

I'm usually adamant about guys sucking it up and playing through injuries, but with all the recent concussions around the league I'm beginning to back track a little. I don't think they need to change the rules of the game or anything drastic like that, but I think a good rule would be kind of like in the NFL where if you have concussion symptoms you can't play the rest of the game and maybe take it a step further and require players to sit out the next game as a precautionary measure. Maybe that's too cautious but I wouldn't be opposed to that.
It's dumb because concussions show up on MRIs.

The problems come when someone gets hit, feels woosey but tells their coach and trainer that they are fine and they want to go back in and so they go back in and then don't have an MRI after the game. And then they get hit next game and it's a problem.

That won't happen here w/ Giroux. He's going to have an MRI... probably a CT scan too. If they are clear and he has no symptoms, then you do nothing. You let him play on Tuesday, no questions asked.

He's also going to have baseline tests, impact tests, etc.

If he passes all those, then there's no danger in letting him play. That's the way they do it in the NFL now.

Concussions aren't some mysterious thing. If you have no symptoms and you never had any symptoms and you pass all the tests and all the scans come out normal, then you're fine.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote