Thread: Great Britain: Hockey in Britain
View Single Post
Old
12-12-2011, 02:20 PM
3 Minute Minor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
In response to James Norris' question in the WJC Div1 thread, I'm going to talk about what is wrong with the current system and how I think it can be fixed.

A big problem for juniors is player numbers, we can solve this by extending the age groups:
Currently we have U10's, 12's, 14's, 16's and 18's.
I would change it to U10's, 13's, 16's and 19's.

This means there are more players in each age bracket, teams often have the problem of being short benched especially in the U18's and this fixes that.

It also can fix the problem of competitiveness, too often a team with a strong group of players gains promotion to the 'A' League, then all the good players move up to the next age group, resulting in the weaker group of players having to face much better teams and getting beat 20-0 every game. Obviously this is demoralising for the players and some end up quitting.

Extending age groups also means there are 4 junior teams at one club instead of 5, this results in more available ice time for practice and games. This also fixes the shortage of officials problem because there are less games to cover.

In the U19 league, players who are signed by the senior team should HAVE to play U19's as their first priority, only being allowed to play for the senior team when the U19's don't have a game. This increases the standard of the league, and benefits other players too because they will play with/against better opponents, and also fixes the player numbers problem.
I like the way you changed up the age groups. I don't know if forcing players to play U19 is the best way to go about it. If they're ready to play senior they should be up there playing senior. As for the senior restructure, I don't know enough about it & not to be a dick but I'm more worried about the player development at the grass roots level and the senior stuff doesn't matter so much to me.

Edit: With what you did with the age groups, it also cuts down the number of coaches which could be a good thing. Keeps coaches off the ice who don't know anything about coaching or hockey.

Would a National Development program work in Great Britain (Kind of like the USA program which has made large strides in the past 15 years)