View Single Post
Old
12-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Nick30 View Post
Thanks, I need to read up on this stuff. Haven't been keeping up all but then I read the story about CP3 potentially being a traded a few days ago, and then the league being able to reject it even though it was agreed to. Just made me go WTF. It seems the lockout didn't actually accomplish much, as Dwight and Chris Paul will most likely end up on 'super-teams' when all is said and done.

Edit: I'm also reading that all the owners stepped in and just said 'this is unfair', seems like the league has just created a huge problem here. Stupid decision. The GM was trying to get something for Paul who was obviously just going to walk after this year.

Also as much as I hate the Heat - I think Battier was an excellent pickup for them. Guy is an excellent team player and very very good defensively.
Anyone who felt this lockout was going to change anything in terms of competitive balance was nuts. The NBA is a star driven league, as the individual has a far greater impact than in any of the other major sports. Players want to win, so the stars know they have to join forces with each other. The reason it happens to all come back to big markets is because they are always willing and able to put up the money to pay these guys their money (assuming the salary cap situation allows). And those big markets are more desirable for these aging veterans to sign for cheap to join these stars. I want to say Bill Simmons wrote in a recent NBA article that kids grow up dreaming of playing on the Lakers, the Knicks, the Celtics, the Bulls, etc. Except for maybe people from the area, you don't dream of hitting the game winning shot for the T-Wolves, the Bobcats, or the Pacers. Unless those markets refuse to spend their money, they'll always be a desirable location. There are systems that can restore competitive balance, but this CBA didn't do it.

One key reason that can not be overlooked for why the league keeps rejecting the Chris Paul trades: the league wants the Hornets to be sold to a new owner. Their goal is not necessarily to receive "fair value" for Paul. Their goal is to make the team as attractive to an owner as can be. Grand scheme of things, its more valuable with 1 star player (Paul) than none. Even though they can assemble a nice group, it lacks that star power that could get someone excited to buy this team. Someone has to overpay by such an absurd amount to get the league to shift from that view for now. They're not thinking about the long-term of "trade him now or lose him for nothing next year." They're looking at 'lets sell this team as soon as we can.'

And Battier was an excellent pick up. He won't step in and dominate a game. But he's a solid defensive player and can play multiple positions. Could be very huge when they want to give LeBron or Bosh a few minutes to rest (depending on the kind of lineup they want to put on the floor). Could even play him in Wade's spot depending on the situation as well. That flexibility, his demeanor and leadership, and his skills are a huge addition. Its glue players like that which go a long way for championship teams.

The few moves that have happened are actually great fits so far. Odom will be great for Dallas having lost Butler. Solid role player and veteran presence. Chandler will be great on the Knicks as they could use some defensive presence in the front court. Caron Butler is a great addition for the Clippers, and Billups could be as well assuming he is willing to go there and play nice with everybody. When is someone going to pull a Jerome James and give someone useless way too much money?

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote