Thread: Is it to late?
View Single Post
Old
12-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
I'd love to play ice hockey too but there isn't a 'working rink' for miles where I live. There is actually a rink in the town centre but it has been closed for about 20 years and they still can't make up their minds what to do with it.

So I'm going to have to learn inline/street hockey instead. The only experience I have is field hockey though.

Apologies for straying off-topic.
I faced a similar problem to you. I wanted to play ice hockey since i was a kid, but there was no rink that close by. So instead of having to travel miles and miles to the nearest ice rink, at the age of 16 i started playing street hockey with a friend of mine. A year later, we had been banned from playing in either of our streets by various neighbours so i joined a (fairly) local roller hockey team. Been with that team for almost 7 years now and been the captain for about 4. Glad i joined, its great fun. You just have to get yourself started, find a place you can play, find some gear to wear and then get on with the playing. And dont worry about having a background in field hockey, it might well help you in the end. Some of the kids that play with our team have no experience of any hockey beforehand, they need to learn to skate and stickhandle, but the kids with field hockey experience are a bit more confident of controlling the puck and can then focus more on skating.

Do you know any good places for getting hockey gear in this country? If not, let me know and i'll PM some links to you. All my kit has been ordered within the UK (except the stick i ordered last night) and i know some good companies that are friendly and helpful.

Best of luck with getting started

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote