View Single Post
Old
12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Habitant#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
But what is Hickey saying wrong? He acknowledges the difficulties of living with being abused. The only thing he says that can be argued is Fleury a hypocrite or not? Well how can you say the justice system is flawed because it grants him months free when Fleury himself granted him years of freedom by not speaking up.

I understand the difficulties of speaking up, I will never argue that someone who has been hurt yesterday will be willing to talk about it today. But Fleury should realize that he himself left Graham free by not speaking up, especially in 97 when the case was before court because of Kennedy. I won't go into the whole publicity thing (in todays age any exposure seems to be good exposure). I just don't believe Fleury has the right to criticize the justice system when he himself had an opportunity to aid the justice system almost 15 years ago and didn't. Yes it may of been hard, and as Hickey alludes to he was more then a fringe NHL player but in the end you should criticize yourself before others. Could I of done more? If the answer is yes, well you should keep your comments to yourself and live with the decision you take.

Hickey has every right to discuss Fleury and his actions that he takes in a public medium. Hickey simply called him a hypocrite for saying the justice system is flawed because Graham gets to walk free. If Fleury spoke up years ago, who knows the situation would be like today? (I agree with Fleury being a hypocrite in the situation of today. Do I think it was easy for him then, or even now to talk about what happened? Of course not, but this isn't the issue with the article)
My issue with Hickey's article, and I believe many people's as well, is that while Hickey acknowledges the difficulty a victim faces when trying speak up, he fails completely in understanding the extent of that difficulty. I've worked with victim's of abuse briefly, this hardly makes me an expert, but I learned enough to realise that the extent of the psychological trauma is gigantic. This is something that happens to kids, and they go through adolescence living with it. Adolescence is when you develop a sense of self, and having that corrupted by abuse is damaging to the highest degree. Ghost's post articulates this very well.
It's not just extremely difficult for a victim to speak up, sometimes it's downright impossible, even regardless of courage.
So Hickey declaring Fleury a hypocrite because 'he could have spoken up sooner' just flaunts his ignorance on the subject. A journalist shouldn't denounce a person pubically based on facts made up in their mind.

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean this post to look like I'm picking on you or anything! You're just the person that happened to have replied to me. I'm just trying to explain to some people that it's not a question of speaking up 'being hard' or a question of 'cougrage' or 'mental strength' or 'fortitude' or any other term like that. It's like saying a depressed person is depressed because they're weak. Mental illness is just that, and illness and has little to do with strength of character.