View Single Post
Old
12-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Art Vandelay

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
That is my understanding of the rule as well. However, the question I have is about the trade deadline and available cap space. I've heard that the cap space available at the deadline is the total amount of salary paid out per year. Ie. if we were slated to pay 38 mil in salary for the year by the deadline, we would have 1 mil left which could get us a 4 milion dollar per year player for the remainder of the regular season. If so, while we are able to go over the cap temporarily, doesnt bringing in a replacement just eat away at the room we have available at the deadline?
My guess is no, the cap relief a team close to the cap can get if they replace a long term injured player doesnt "eat away" at the cap space.

The problem is that a team that choose to use this clause must come back under the cap when the injured player comes back, which can lead to some loopsided trades or putting valuable players on waivers.

NJ is (once again) a good example of this, they are right now probably at 38-39 million, when Elias comes back they have to make room = potential huge problems.