View Single Post
Old
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Wait, what? That's the most moronic notion I've ever heard. You're saying Crosby is on a 5.5 goal pace because the Pens have played 30 games and Crosby only has 2 goals?

When Franson has played, he's produced .5 PPG. He can't help it Burke put him in the dog house. He's coming into his own now in the new system, and he's now playing regularly.

GP G A PTS +/-
Year to date 14 3 4 7 -1
On Pace 67 14 19 33 -1
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5199

We can go back and forth on whether 15 is sheltered or not. On the road, how can you really shelter a player. Regardless, 15 minutes is almost what Blum has been playing.

The point of my post was, and I'm not saying you're one of these people, but seems to me lots of people were saying the Blum had already replaced Franson, and that Blum was an immediate upgrade to Franson (maybe one day he will be, but not now). In fact, that was the most popular argument for defending the Franson trade, you remember?

......"that Franson was easily replaceable by the youngsters, and Blum had already had passed him."

Now Blum is in the AHL, Ekholm is in Europe, Laakso is god knows where.
Blum did pass Franson on the depth chart last year. He took a step back in his development and needs a little time in Milwaukee to get back on track this season, but with both of them on the club, and Franson having more NHL experience, Blum passed Franson which led to Franson becoming portable over the summer. Blum is playing almost as much ES time as Franson is total (Franson 14:02 ES, 0:06 PK, 1:30 PP .... Blum 14:51 ES, 1:46 PK, 1:19 PP). We have the luxury of six healthy defenders right now so we can afford to send Blum down to fix his sophomore slump and logging top pair minutes in the AHL does him more good right now than 3rd pair / healthy scratch time in Nashville. In retrospect, Franson probably would have benefited from a trip to Milwaukee during his two full seasons as a Pred.

If Franson wasn't traded, he'd still be a 5-7 blueliner on our roster. He is what he is .. a 3rd pair guy with a decent shot from the point who can play a little bit of PP time but lacks the mobility to perform on the PK or log huge ES minutes. He has size but depends on his reach, not using his body. His lack of footspeed leaves him vulnerable and if a player chips the puck around him, Franson isn't catching up to make the play.

Josi is now healthy and on the big club where he was projected to start the season before his last injury. Blum is a quick call away and I don't expect him to spend more than 2-4 weeks on the Ads roster. Ellis is a late season call up at the earliest as he adjusts to the pro game. I haven't seen Aaronson to evaluate his game yet. I get that opportunity the first week of Feb.

Franson isn't the second coming of Orr .... SOB isn't the next Stevens. Unfortunately, guys like Beauchemin, Robidas, and Burns aren't likely to get moved. Maybe Carolina decides to blow up their roster early and Allen or Gleason become available. Eaton is still hanging around the league as a vet presence but I don't see him fixing our 2nd pair issues. Hamonic maybe? Tyutin would be a good addition. Maybe Peckham from Edmonton? Sutton is just too much of a suspension magnet right now.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote