View Single Post
Old
12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
No.. British kids arent good enough to get into the CHL. One of their best recent prospects, Robert Farmer got into camp for the Ottawa 67s and played 1 game but was cut for a Czech defenseman instead. I think he was good enough but the competition for an import slot is way too high and British kids mature later than others because of the limited ice time they get.

Players are going to NA because it improves their hockey, its not necessarily because they're outstandingly good but they also need money to do it. The better quality academic/athletic training with the extra ice time improves their games. There was a defenseman who did go to Okanagan who is pretty good but I forget his name - quite a few have gone there. Most of our top players spent a year or two in NA.

I think they should be looking towards establishing links with Sweden and Germany though but its not in the national psyche to do so.
Yes I think more players should follow in Joey Lewis' footsteps and go over to Germany. We do have a link with a team in the German U20 league (not the DNL) because the head coach has an account on TheHockeyForum and he regularly posts on there and tries to get British imports every season