View Single Post
Old
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

vCash: 500
Engineers draft Eddie Wares, a right winger who played some defense who had five significant seasons and one decent playoffs, renowned for his clutch play in Detroit. Wares was 4th in team goals his first two seasons (1937-39), going on to be 3rd in team points his career year of 1941-42 (6th in NHL assists), the middle of two double digit goal scoring regular seasons that saw Wares during this 3-year peak on the Liminent Line (with Grosso and Abel) score 94 points, ending with a 6 point 1943 Stanley Cup championship postseason before he joined the war effort.

Quote:
Wares was an instrumental force with the Detroit Red Wings
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14638

Quote:
The sixth-year right-winger posted a career high with 38 points in 1941-42 and as Detroit raced to a 3-0 lead in its Stanley Cup final series with Toronto, Wares played a large part, setting up the winning goal in Detroit's 3-2 Game 2 victory.

He also played a huge role in the turnaround which saw Toronto win the last four games of the series to take the title. The Leafs were leading 4-3 late in Game 4 when Wares mouthed off to referee Mel Harwood. Harwood, insisting Wares used profanity, assessed the Detroit player a 10-minute misconduct. Denying the charge, Wares refused to go to the penalty box, standing instead by the Detroit bench.

Harwood assessed Detroit a bench minor and ordered forward Don Grosso to serve it. In protest, Grosso laid his stick and gloves at Harwood's feet.

When the game concluded, Grosso, Wares and Detroit manager Jack Adams beat a path towards Harwood and a brawl ensued.

Wares and Grosso were fined $100 each for their actions and Adams was suspended for the remainder of the post-season.

"I never said a thing to (Harwood)," Wares complained. "He said, "You've got yourself a misconduct." I asked, "What for?" and he said, "You don't know what for?"

"He never did tell me. That's why I refused to leave the ice."

It was a black mark on an otherwise solid career for Wares, a talented athlete who performed on Canada's schoolboy track and field team, winning the shot put competition at the 1934 British Empire Scholastic Games in Australia.

Wares was an instant hit with he arrived in Detroit during the 1937-38 season, scoring six goals and two assists in his first eight games. "Every once in a while, hockey produces one of those scoring opportunists, the kind that has a happy faculty for ringing the old gong just when a goal is needed," Adams said. "Wares is one of those birds."

Wares joined the Canadian Navy after the 1942-43 season and never played again for the Wings. His contract was sold to Chicago in 1945 and he spent two seasons with the Blackhawks, leaving the NHL for good in 1947.

TOTALS WITH RED WINGS:
GP-214, G-50, A-84, PTS-134

HONORS:
Played for Detroit's 1942-43 Stanley Cup championship team
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43814

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote